I would prefer if you committed it to the trunk (which is now 1.4-dev)
and not create a 1.3 branch just for this.  To get this into 1.3, we'd
have to turn the 1.3 tag into a branch and check the fix in there.
Then i'd have to re-roll the release, re-test it myself, re-upload it,
and call for a new vote.

That's a lot of work for something i think can wait for the next
version.  We can't account for everything a user does, and this is not
a situation new to the 1.3 release.  There is also a very simple
workaround.  The user can always use $request.session or
$request.getSession(false) to ensure a fresh session.

If you're willing to let this wait for the next version, then go ahead
and commit the change to the trunk.

(And once again, i'm further convinced we need to move to a more
httpd-like release process to avoid wasted release effort. :)