+1 on the Performance project.  There are some great tools for
profiling applications now with open source licenses.

As a student, you also will learn a great deal from this project. The
things you learn from profiling are very interesting, having been
involved in a 2 month project performance optimisation on a CRM
system, it was one of the best development learning experiences I have
had.

regards Malcolm Edgar
http://click.sourceforge.net

On 3/16/07, Ahmed Mohombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ideas from the community?
What about some *real* performance improvements?

4 years ago, when Velocity gained a big number of users, it was because Velocity
was much faster than JSP.

This is not true anymore, as JSP is much faster and scalable now.

Maybe it would be the time to try to regain a part of your users with a
"Performance Improvements
Project".

Of course, it doesn't sounds spectacular, but the effect would be one for sure
:).

Velocity needs really almost no new features(except better error reporting and
whitespace control),
but better speed is always good.

Ahmed.
P.S. I don't expect Velocity to be again faster than JSP (it was up to 5 times
faster in the past),
but now the situation is almost reversed, so reducing the gap a little would be
great.