On 6/29/07, Claude Brisson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I tested it in a real webapp and it seems ok...
The new api is really much cleaner than the 1.x, that's a pleasure to
use it!

good to hear!

There are some small developments I'd like to commit in but they are not
ready and will wait for the 2.1 release.

we're only in alpha stage right now.  unless they're really drastic, i
think they should go in now.  To me, "alpha" means "the big
refactorings and core infrastructure is done; here's something to
*start* working with.  expect some changes."   I'm likely to make more
than a few small developments too.

so,

+1

One remark: when fully rebuilding I saw that there remains some internal
references to deprecated classes, like to the old ToolInfo class in
o.a.v.tools.view package, that could easily be changed.

it's something we need to consider.  at this point, i've decided to
leave the old core infrastructure in place and deprecated.  i know
there's not likely to be many people who directly interacted with it
(and thus we probably can yank it), but it's not really hurting
anything and might still be useful in some way i haven't foreseen.

also, i have occasionally thought that it might be nice to break the
many deprecated class out into a separate "backwards compatible"
build, but then we're basically talking about doubling the number of
jars we distribute.  since we already put out three, that seemed like
overkill.

anyway, all that is to say, we should have a discussion at some point
about whether and/or how long we want to leave the various deprecated
pieces (support for old toolbox format, support for Tools with init()
methods, and the old tool management infrastructure) in place.

  Claude