Dear Velocity Team Members,

I was looking for a template engine that would work on Android, and had used Velocity a couple of times, years ago. The latest version is 1.7. There haven't been any code changes in 4 years, although there were some recent bug reports. Log4j has some issues on Android and I shifted to Maven from Ant back in its 2.x days. So I restructured the codebase to use Maven, moved the Texen and Anakia code to the side, stripped out the custom LogChute code and changed it to use SLF4J. There are some minor problems just getting the 1.7 source distribution to build. I found a number of bugs along the way and a number of the unit tests were not even being run by the Ant build. I managed to get all but one of the unit tests to work (UberSpect related) that had been working before, and several that were not, are now. Several unit tests depended on the LogChute architecture, which with great difficulty, I changed. Having unit tests depend on logging feels like a hack, is very fragile, and difficult to understand because it isn't clear where the logging statement is being executed. It would be much better to restructure the code to use the more contemporary IoC design patterns, so mock objects could be injected. Injecting the MockIntrospectorCacheImpl was painful. Another unit test motivated me to add an initial implementation of an EventListener for the Velocity engine.

The rewritten library works under Android, but would still need a lot of love before I'd be call it ready for a new release. What are Apache and the Velocity team's plans for the project? Velocity is the template engine used by Maven's Site component, so the project is still needed. My priorities are to deliver my Android application, but if Apache is interested, I could keep working and polishing it. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely yours,
Frederick N. Brier