I've had some Maven hiccups, but it was working for me the last time i
tried.

If Mike wants to revive the Ant build for 1.7, i have no problem with that.
I do remember the JJParserState issue when rebuilding the parser though.
Always bugged me, but i never saw an easy fix.

I agree that the goals for 2.0 are too ambitious. I would support a
not-so-revolutionary 2.0.  I doubt i'll find time to help with the code or
apply/test patches, but i may be able to help with a release, and i can at
least help with feedback.

I think the idea of a 1.7.1 that updates dependencies is good, but any
major Java language updates should probably be in 2.0, not a theoretical
1.8. I could be swayed on that if that's really what the people doing the
work want to do, but that's my gut instinct.

In any case, if people want to work on Velocity, i'm happy to help
guide/advise and try and get those working on it the privs they need. :) We
stopped using it at work, and as a father of 4 little kids, i haven't been
up to spending much personal time on it, but it's still my favorite little
corner of the ASF.