The LDAP group ou=projects is used for PMCs and podlings. Possibly
other types as well.

Apps that read the file usually need to know if an entry is a PMC or a
podling or something else.

At present that means they also have to read other JSON files.
This is extra code to write and test.

It seems to me it might be better to add some attributes to the JSON
to classify the types.

Are there any reasons not to do this?

And how should the attributes be defined?

I suspect it will be difficult to define a single type: that would
mean having to define all the possible variations up front so apps
know what to match.

Whereas separate optional attributes for pmc: true/false and
podlingStatus: current (etc) should hopefully be more future-proof.