On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:20 AM, Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Feb 21, 2018, at 6:23 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 9:01 PM, Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The board agenda included a guest with a parenthetical annotation. When I
>>> brought up the roll call the guest did not appear. I entered the guest
>>> manually. Later I added the annotation.
>>>
>>> Any idea why this guest had to be entered manually? Perhaps the annotation
>>> confused the tool? No error messages.
>>
>> Not the annotation, but the lack of a committer id.  Best explained by
>> showing the data structure provided by the server to the client:
>>
>> https://whimsy.apache.org/board/agenda/2018-02-21.json
>>
>> This data structure is an array of agenda items.
>>
>> The second item is the Roll Call, which has title, text, people, ... minutes.
>>
>> People is a hash.  Keys are committer ids.  Whoops!  No way to
>> represent a person who doesn't have an id.
>
> I might suggest explicitly handling this by assigning a temporary id
> "external1" ... "externaln" to non-id folks here. And they would have an
> explicit notation (external guest) added to their description.
>
> This has happened a few times in the past.
>
> Let me take a look at the code.

Suggestion: ensure http://whimsy.local/board/agenda/2018-02-21.json is
working on your machine, then look at:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/ff241424bc0a4bc3ff67ac06df50a4b70d5ca652/lib/whimsy/asf/agenda/front.rb#L46

Try adding an 'else' clause, perhaps utilizing the method on line 35
for assigning a unique key.  Assuming that you have things set up to
restart applications on change[1], you should be able to refresh
http://whimsy.local/board/agenda/2018-02-21.json and see the name show
up.  Once that data looks right, go to
http://whimsy.local/board/agenda/2018-02-21/Roll-Call and verify that
the results you are looking for are there.

- Sam Ruby

[1]
https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/MACOSX.md#make-applications-restart-on-change