i still dont see your solution about the wicket thread class.
What should that one do??? give an example.

The best solution is to use a threadpool like a described above.
And yes that InheritableThreadLocal  isnt needed then.

But using

final Application app = Application.get()
// start thread

is exactly the same kind of leakage as using InheritableThreadLocal