Here's an example page that you can plug into a quickstart to show the bug:

public class HomePage extends WebPage
{

    static
    {
        System.out.println("I'm being initialized within the context
of thread " + Thread.currentThread().getName() + ".");
    }

    public HomePage()
    {
        add(new Image("image", new MyImageResource()));
    }

    private class MyImageResource extends DynamicImageResource
    {
        private MyImageResource()
        {
            super("png");
        }

        @Override
        protected byte[] getImageData()
        {
            final BufferedImage bufferedImage = new BufferedImage(100,
100, BufferedImage.TYPE_4BYTE_ABGR);
            Graphics2D g2d = (Graphics2D) bufferedImage.getGraphics();
            g2d.setPaint(Color.white);
            g2d.fillRect(0, 0, 100, 100);
            g2d.setPaint(Color.red);
            g2d.drawOval(45, 45, 10, 10);
            final ByteArrayOutputStream bout = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
            try
            {
                ImageIO.write(bufferedImage, "png", bout);
                bout.close();
            }
            catch (IOException e)
            {
                throw new WicketRuntimeException("Unable to render image.", e);
            }
            return bout.toByteArray();
        }
    }