-1 for updating to spring 3 (especially when wicket-spring doesn't need
features not available in 2.5.6)

How about  <version>[2.5.6,)</version>  ?

It clearly indicates that 2.5.6 is the minimum required version for
wicket-spring

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution#DependencyMediationandConflictResolution-DependencyVersionRanges

Maarten