when we start a build we create a branch, for example wicket-1.5.4 was
built in the build/wicket-1.5.4 branch [4].  when the release vote
passes the branch is tagged with a release tag, in case of 1.5.4 it
was release/wicket-1.5.4 [5]

you can see both the tags and branches in [3], in fact the 1.5.4
release tag is the first tag listed...

[4]
http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=wicket.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/build/wicket-1.5.4
[5]