these things are usually added after the fact, which means you have to
add the container then go find all the children that should be added
into it and change the parent of the add() calls. just like any time
when you have to insert a container into existing hierarchy, but one
of the primary usecases is to do what the enclosures do.

having these containers in code adds a lot of noise.

some uis are prone to having a lot of these. eg when you hide a form
component you also want to hide some static help markup. without
enclosures this means having an extra container for each form
component with dynamic visibility.

enclosures were born as a practical solution to these frustrating
problems. if they are broken they need to be fixed, but removing them
is not an option i dont think.

-igor