this does not seem cluttered to me:

1 add(new Button("login") {
2  onsubmit() {
3     if (authenticator.login(username, password)) {
4        continueToOriginalDestination();
5        setResponsePage(UserHome.class);
6    } else {
7       error("login failed");
8   }
9 }

do you expect to call setResponsePage(UserHome.class) from your action
as well, in case there is no intercept page?

do you expect to call error() from that action?

it seems to me that lines 4,5, and 7 all belong in your UI-layer and
should not be in a layer below...my two cents.

-igor