Hi Martin,

jQuery 3.x is not about dropping browser support, but changes in API. They were
planning
to have a jQuery Compat 3.x for IE8 and older, but they decided to stop that
just over a year
ago. jQuery 3.x supports the following browsers:
 * Internet Explorer: 9+
 * Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari: Current and Current - 1
 * Opera: Current
 * Safari Mobile iOS: 7+
 * Android 4.0+

You do potentially run into incompatibilities between 2.x and 3.x with plugins.
For this, you
can use the migrate plugin.

Btw. I do agree with Korbinian that we should try to use native browser support
if available
on all browsers we support. For example, querySelectorAll is available on all
browsers, but
fetch is not. Gradually changing the code to use native browser support should
allow us to
eventually remove the dependency on jQuery.

Best regards,
Emond