Hi Samisa,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe <sam...@wso2.com> wrote:

> I want to do, say, some service calls, when someone ticks a ckecklist item
> on an LC state.

Does this call should happen as a post check-item click action or a pre
check-item click action.

> Is that possible? If so how?

This is possible as a pre check-item click action. We can define a
validation class for check-item clicks and these classes are pluggable.
Validation classes can be configured from the lifecycle configuration.

<item name="" forEvent="">*<!-- the check item element -->*
    <validations>
        <validation forEvent="" class="">
            *<!--forEvent - defines the event that the custom validation
should be done*
*class - defines the full qualified name of the custom validations class -->
*
            <parameter name="" value=""/>
            *<!--name - defines the custom parameter name*
*      value - defines the custom parameter value-->*
        </validation>
    </validations>
</item>

And as a validation, we can do a service call or some other functionality.
Validations are similar to transition executors and there is an interface
that you need to implement. More information about validations can be found
in our docs[1]. Also there are a set of standard validators that we ship
with the distribution[2].

If it is not possible, can we add that functionality?

> The use case is, it is required to make the tick real, for e.g. if the
> tick is about - did you report time, if reporting time itself is attached
> to the tick, it is more practical. If not, people will pre-tic with the
> post action intent, and in reality the action associated with the tick
> would not really happen.

I believe validations are the solution for this problem. If the validation
fails, the check-item click will not happen.

Thanks,
Janaka

[1] http://docs.wso2.org/wiki/display/Governance450/Configuring+Lifecycles
[2]