The caching implementation we have is an implementation of the JSR-107
(JCache) spec [1]

If (Axis2) clustering is enabled, the cache works as a distributed cache.
It is simply using a Hazelcast distributed map [2] per cache. If clustering
is not enabled, then the same caching implementation works as an a local
cache. There is no code change required in the code that uses JCache APIs
to switch from local cache mode to distributed cache mode. In addition, in
distributed cache mode, in order to improve performance, we have an L1
cache, which is simply implemented using HashMaps, and the L2 cache is
implemented using Hazelcast distributed maps. So, we first check the L1
cache, and if there is a cache miss, we go to the L2 cache. If the value is
located in the L2 cache, then we also store it in the L1 cache. In
distributed mode, If a cache entry is removed or invalidated, then
Hazelcast listeners we have registered get triggered on each & every
Hazelcast cluster member. That will result in the values in the L1 cache &
L2 cache being removed.

1.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YZ-lrH6nW871Vd9Z34Og_EqbX_kxxJi55UrSn4yL2Ak/edit
2. http://www.hazelcast.com/docs/3.0/manual/multi_html/ch02.html#Map

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Srinath Perera <srin...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Pls ask Azeez, architecure@ should have some info
>

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Thilini Ishaka <thil...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could you please point me to the architecture diagram (if available), and
>> some notes related to Distributed Caching impl based on Hazelcast.
>>
>> Requesting this, in addition to the information in "[Architecture]
>> Caching implementation performance improvement" mail thread.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Thilini
>>
>> --
>> Thilini Ishaka
>> Senior Software Engineer
>> Phone: +94 11 214 5345
>> WSO2 Inc. http://wso2.com
>>
>> bolg: thiliniishaka.blogspot.com
>> linkedin: http://lk.linkedin.com/in/thiliniishaka
>> twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/ThiliniIsh
>>

> --
> ============================
> Srinath Perera, Ph.D.
>   Director, Research, WSO2 Inc.
>   Visiting Faculty, University of Moratuwa
>   Member, Apache Software Foundation
>   Research Scientist, Lanka Software Foundation
>   Blog: http://srinathsview.blogspot.com/
>   Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hemapani/
>    Phone: 0772360902

*Afkham Azeez*