As per the $subject, what is the best practise?

I have seen instructions for extracting the binary [1] and running the
startup script [2], but just these steps don't seem robust enough for
a production environment.   In a production environment, I would
expect to see some additional steps:

a) create a unix user account and unix group for running the service
b) creating init.d scripts for starting the service automatically
c) to security harden the service (e.g. replace self signed
certificates - which certificates, change default passwords - which
user accounts)
d) configuring clustering (this seems to be documented [3])
e) configuring a production database credential store (this seems to
be documented [4]), or
f) configuring a production ldap credential store

Have I missed some documentation in the wiki, or are these
undocumented steps not normally performed in production environments?

I've also seen some puppet scripts [5].  Are these scripts production ready?

Many thanks,

Chris
---
[1] https://docs.wso2.org/display/ESB481/Installing+on+Linux