Hi Thanuja,

MySQL default character set in Linux is 'latin1'. IIRC in Windows it's
UTF-8.

This seems to be a pretty old issue and there's a resolved jira for it as
well [1] (it's in fact pointed to by the mysql script). Apparently this is
not fixed yet.

BTW, why do you want UTF-8? One workaround for this is to use latin :)

[1] https://wso2.org/jira/browse/CARBON-5917

Thanks
Dulanja

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Thanuja Jayasinghe <than...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> MySQL default character set is 'latin1' and collation is
> 'latin1_swedish_ci'. So I change it to 'utf8' and 'utf8_general_ci' by
> adding followings to '/etc/mysql/my.cnf' file.
>
> [client]
> default-character-set=utf8
>
> [mysqld_safe]
> default-character-set=utf8
>
> [mysqld]
> collation-server = utf8_unicode_ci
> init-connect='SET NAMES utf8'
> character-set-server = utf8
>
> Now I'm trying to start IS-5.0.0 with '-Dsetup' option, and getting
> following error.
>
> Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Error occurred while executing :   CREATE
> INDEX REG_PATH_IND_BY_PATH_VALUE USING HASH ON REG_PATH(REG_PATH_VALUE,
> REG_TENANT_ID)
>     at
> org.wso2.carbon.utils.dbcreator.DatabaseCreator.executeSQL(DatabaseCreator.java:169)
>     at
> org.wso2.carbon.utils.dbcreator.DatabaseCreator.executeSQLScript(DatabaseCreator.java:325)
>     at
> org.wso2.carbon.utils.dbcreator.DatabaseCreator.createRegistryDatabase(DatabaseCreator.java:61)
>     at
> org.wso2.carbon.user.core.common.DefaultRealmService.initializeDatabase(DefaultRealmService.java:278)
>     ... 19 more
> Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException:
> Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes
>     at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native
> Method)
>     at
>
> Does anyone know solution or workaround here, or we do not support 'utf8'?
>
> Thanks,
> Thanuja.
> --
> *Thanuja Lakmal*