Hi Guys,

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Dhanuka Ranasinghe <dhan...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I was working on $Subject, found that this can't be done due to not
> having an OSGi service from IS level but only admin service. AFAIK, it's
> not recommend to call admin service unless server boot up.
>
> Use Case:
>
> SS has static/system resources (environments, instances and databases), so
> we need to assign defaults permissions (if not already assigned) for these
> at server start up. For that we need to first create service provider and
> then store permissions according to available resources.
>
> Approaches tried out:
>
> 1. Used application management configuration
> (repository/conf/identity/service-provider/default.xml). By doing that it's
> not got persisted into database/registry instead it keeps all the service
> provider information in a static hash map (in memory). Since changes done
> to in memory not got persisted it will be lost at server reboot.
>
> 2. Called admin service programmatically , this is not recommended since
> carbon context and other services may not already activated.
>
> At this moment solution what we can see is, implementing an OSGi service
> for application management operations.

+1. The only cleaner approach available for us to achieve this would be to
have an OSGi API exposed from the application management component. I
believe, this is going to be useful not only for us, but also for anyone
else who may come across the same need as this appears to be a pretty
common use-case across the platform. Can we please have this implemented
sometime soon?

Cheers,
Prabath

--