Update:

This seems to be somehow caused by a network interface issue. The machine I
run CEP on has a virtualbox private network configured. I started another
CEP sever on a separate machine without the virtualbox network
configuration and the same code is able to connect and publish to the
latter server.

The exact cause for this is unclear.

Regards,
Chamila de Alwis