I can't see a clear relationship between Loopback mediator and what you are
trying out.

But according to the proxy configuration you have given above, I guess you
are trying to send a response back to the client from the proxy itself
without sending the request to a backend service. For that you can reverse
the message within the inSequence as follows.

<api xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse"; name="jsonTest"
context="/json">
   <resource methods="POST">
      <inSequence>
         <script language="js">var older = mc.getPayloadJSON();     var
newer=older;     mc.setPayloadJSON(newer);</script>
*         <header name="To" action="remove"/>*
*         <property name="RESPONSE" value="true"/>*
         <send/>
      </inSequence>
   </resource>
</api>