+1 for residual plots.

Though I haven't used it myself Residual Plot  is a useful diagnostic tool
for regression models.
Especially, non-linearity in regression models can be easily identified
using it.

"An Introduction to Statistical Learning" book [1] ( page 92-96) contains
some useful information about residual plots.

[1]. http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~gareth/ISL/ISLR%20Fourth%20Printing.pdf

--
Upul Bandara,
Associate Technical Lead, WSO2, Inc.,