Hi,

We need to version a  webapp which contains RESTful APIs.
This webapp will be deployed in WSO2 Api Manager.

Following are 3 approaches I found for the purpose :

   1. Make war name as <warName>${project.artifactId}-${pom.version}</
   warName> which will output webappName-version.war

           Its endpoint address is http://HostName:port/webappName-version/
           Ex : https://localhost:9443/api-import-export-1.0.0/

       2.  Make war name as <warName>${project.artifactId}#${pom.version}</
warName> which will output webappName#version.war

            This will allow Tomcat server to identify versions of the web
app.
            Its endpoint address is http://HostName:port/webappName/version/
            Ex : https://localhost:9443/api-import-export/1.0.0/
<https://localhost:9443/api-import-export-1.0.0/>

            WSO2 Application Server follows this approach [1].

       3.  Apache tomcat consists of another approach using "##" for
context naming [2].
            That approach needs to make war name as <warName>
${project.artifactId}##${pom.version}</warName> which will output
webappName##version.war

           Its endpoint address is http://HostName:port/webappName/
           This will use the latest version.
           Ex : https://localhost:9443/api-import-export/
<https://localhost:9443/api-import-export-1.0.0/>
           However this naming convention cannot be deployed in WSO2 Api
Manager. It returns AbstractWebappDeployer Unsupported file path format.

What is the best approach to follow when versioning the webapp ?

[1] https://docs.wso2.com/display/AS521/Webapp+Versioning
[2] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html#Naming

Thanks,
ThiliniC.

--
Best Regards,

*Thilini Cooray*
Software Engineer
Mobile : +94 (0) 774 570 112 <%2B94%20%280%29%20773%20451194>
E-mail : thili...@wso2.com

WSO2 Inc. www.wso2.com