On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 9:02 PM, Awanthika Senarath <awanth...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hello Susankha,
>
> We cannot have those VM arguments in serverdefinition.xml as ESB 5.0.0
> which is based on carbon 4.4.1 has a different wso2carbon.sh which will not
> be able to start if we pass those VM arguments. So the option is to
> integrate a new server for carbon 4.4.1.

ESB 5.0.0 is using the Carbon Kernel version 4.4.5 and in the
"wso2server.sh" carbon file, it will check the Java version like below and
assign the values of the VM parameters to the "JVM_MEM_OPTS" variable,
according to the java version. Then use the "$JVM_MEM_OPTS" parameter in
the
system property section (refer [1])

if [ -z "$JVM_MEM_OPTS" ]; then
   java_version=$("$JAVACMD" -version 2>&1 | awk -F '"' '/version/ {print
$2}')
   JVM_MEM_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx1024m"
   if [ "$java_version" \< "1.8" ]; then
      JVM_MEM_OPTS="$JVM_MEM_OPTS -XX:MaxPermSize=256m"
   fi
fi

while [ "$status" = "$START_EXIT_STATUS" ]
do
    $JAVACMD \
    -Xbootclasspath/a:"$CARBON_XBOOTCLASSPATH" \
    $JVM_MEM_OPTS \

Without creating a new server for ESB 5.0.0 (Carbon Kernel 4.4.5), we can
use the same CarbonServer44 component.
We can check the JAVA version and according to that, we can set the
relavent VM parameters.
I think that is the best way to handle this issue, without introduce a new
CarbonSever vertion inside the DevStudio.

[1]-
https://github.com/wso2/carbon-kernel/blob/v4.4.5/distribution/kernel/carbon-home/bin/wso2server.sh

> Regards
> Awanthika
>
> Awanthika Senarath
> Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.
> Mobile: +94717681791
>

> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Susankha Nirmala <susan...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Susankha Nirmala <susan...@wso2.com>
>> wrote:

>>> This error happens due to missing "-Xms256m -Xmx1024m -XX:
>>> MaxPermSize=256m" VM parameters in the carbon.definition.xml[1]. ESB 5.0.0
>>> is support for Java 1.7.0 and 1.8.0 (refer [3]).
>>> ESB 4.9.0 also supported for both Java versions and in the
>>> carbon.definition.xml file of the carbonserver 4.2, we can see "-Xms256m
>>> -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m" VM parameters[2].
>>>
>>> With the Java 1.8, PermSize VM parameter not using, because in Java 8
>>> PermGen is replace with Metaspace. But we need to support Both Java
>>> versions (1.7 and 1.8).
>>> We can pass same three "-Xms256m -Xmx1024m -XX: MaxPermSize=256m" VM
>>> parameters and when we are starting server in Java 1.8.0 it will give the
>>> following warning, but continue the starting process.
>>>
>>>         Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option
>>> MaxPermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0
>>>
>>> If you directly run ESB with Java 1.8.0, you can see above warning log.
>>> The best thing we can do is use the same VM parameters define in the
>>> wso2carbon.sh file in the carbon.definition.xml (that's what we have done
>>> with carbonserver 4.2 and that's why we can't see
>>> This issue, when starting ESB 4.9.0 with Java 1.7.0)
>>>
>>> [1]-
>>> https://github.com/wso2/devstudio-tooling-platform/blob/developer-studio-tooling-platform-4.1.0-beta2/plugins/org.wso2.developerstudio.eclipse.carbonserver44/serverdefinition/carbon.definition.xml
>>> [2]-