Valid requirement. However should this be something to consider at platform
level.

Just introducing new property for ESB will introduce inconsistency with
other products?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Rajith Vitharana <raji...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In current ESB task implementation, it only assumes worker manager
> clustering pattern and only schedule tasks in worker nodes. (Identifies
> this by -DworkerNode=true system property) But there may be scenarios where
> clustering mode is not worker manager (for examples just two ESB nodes
> clustered to be used in active passive mode)
>
> In this case tasks not going to be scheduled in ESB nodes(because they are
> not worker nodes)
> And we can't even identify whether the clustering mode is worker manager
> or not. (AFAIK there is currently no property which states that)
>
> And we can't simply schedule tasks in every nodes as well. Because in a
> worker manager cluster, manager should not run tasks. Hence we need a way
> to differentiate.
>
> So as a solution we thought of adding a property to "axis2.xml" file. We
> can have below two approaches.
>
> 1) - Adding a property (Eg - "clusteringMode" values "WORKER_MANAGER",
> "NONE") which states clustering mode.
> 2) - Adding a property (Eg - "taskNode" values "true" and "false" with
> default "true") which state whether to skip running tasks or not.
>
> if we use property [1], then it will be consistent and we need to specify
> that in every node.
> And if someone just mention clustering mode as "WORKER_MANAGER" and fail
> to start workers with "-DworkerNode=true" parameter, then tasks won't get
> executed in any node.
>
> if we use property [2] we need to only specify that in manager nodes with
> value "false"(because it defaults to "true")
> and if someone forget to mention that parameter in a manager node of a
> worker manager cluster, then tasks will run in that node as well.
>
> and I personally prefer property[2] since we are trying to solve task
> scheduling issue and it is failsafe because even if we forget that
> parameter, task scheduling happens. Appreciate any feedback on this.

> Rajith Vitharana
>
> Software Engineer,
> WSO2 Inc. : wso2.com
> Mobile : +94715883223
> Blog : http://lankavitharana.blogspot.com/

Best Regards,

Malaka Silva
Senior Technical Lead
M: +94 777 219 791
Tel : 94 11 214 5345
Fax :94 11 2145300
Skype : malaka.sampath.silva
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/pub/malaka-silva/6/33/77
Blog : http://mrmalakasilva.blogspot.com/

WSO2, Inc.
lean . enterprise . middleware
http://www.wso2.com/
http://www.wso2.com/about/team/malaka-silva/
<http://wso2.com/about/team/malaka-silva/>
https://store.wso2.com/store/

Save a tree -Conserve nature & Save the world for your future. Print this
email only if it is absolutely necessary.