Hi,

> All the passwords which are supposed to store in this table are old
>> passwords (expired).
>>
>> - I think we don't need to use the same  password hashing algorithm (with
>> or without salted value) which is defined user-mgt.xml for password history
>> validation.
>>

> IMO using the same hashing algo is cleaner. Isn't the current password
> also stored in this table? If stored, it's mandatory to use salting.

I believe we should use either the hashing algorithm specified in the
user-mgt.xml or provide a separate config to specify a hashing algo for
password history.

Consider the following scenario.

Let's say we have specified the hashing algo in user-mgt.xml as SHA-512 and
we use SHA-256 (hard coded) to store old passwords. Given that the user has
the option to maintain the old password during a periodic password reset,
then the old password will be the same as the existing password if the user
decides to stick with the old password. Now, in the history table the
current password will be stored in a much weaker hash. This doesn't seems
right, does it ? Also using the hashing algorithm specified in the
user-mgt.xml or a different config means that we'll have to store the
hashing algo in the history table.

Regards,
Omindu.

>> - admin users can change other user's passwords without giving their old
>> passwords. In that case, how can we find the old password hash value to
>> store for password history validation?
>>

>> Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Isura.
>>

>> Isura Dilhara Karunaratne
>> Senior Software Engineer