Hi All,

While starting an IS pack built on 4.4.9 we encountered the below error,

[2016-08-22 13:27:23,225] ERROR {org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase} -
 A child container failed during start
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException:
Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].
StandardContext[/]]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(
ContainerBase.java:1119)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(
StandardHost.java:819)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:147)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(
ContainerBase.java:1571)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(
ContainerBase.java:1561)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(
ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(
ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start
component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].
StandardContext[/]]
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:153)
... 6 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Filter mapping specifies an
unknown filter name *CRLFPreventionFilter*
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.validateFilterMap(
StandardContext.java:3205)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.addFilterMap(
StandardContext.java:3170)
at org.apache.catalina.deploy.WebXml.configureContext(WebXml.java:1343)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.webConfig(
ContextConfig.java:1355)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.configureStart(
ContextConfig.java:887)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(
ContextConfig.java:387)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(
LifecycleSupport.java:117)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(
LifecycleBase.java:90)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(
StandardContext.java:5503)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:147)

We found the root cause to be missing filter entries/mappings for
CRLFPreventionFilter, CSRFPreventionFilter which have been removed from
web.xml packed from the kernel 4.4.9[1]. These entries were available in
kernel 4.4.7[2].

We can fix this at IS level by modifying the pom.xml of the distribution.
But isn't this an API change that should not be done in a minor release?
Was this communicated to the product teams?

[1]
https://github.com/wso2/carbon-kernel/blob/v4.4.9-rc1/distribution/kernel/carbon-home/repository/conf/tomcat/carbon/WEB-INF/web.xml
[2]
https://github.com/wso2/carbon-kernel/blob/v4.4.7/distribution/kernel/carbon-home/repository/conf/tomcat/carbon/WEB-INF/web.xml#L73