On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Indunil Upeksha Rathnayake <
indu...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently we are working on implementing C5 user portal in IS. Appreciate
> your suggestions/ideas for the following concerns regarding challenge
> questions.
>
> *1)  Is it necessary to include challenge questions in IS 6.0.0 as a
> recovery option?*
> Seems like secret questions are neither secure nor reliable enough to be
> used as a account recovery mechanism. And also most of the vendors has
> completely removed support for security questions including google. In C5,
> security question sets will be some what strengthen the recovery and makes
> it hard to guess the questions. But seems like need to consider whether it
> need to be implemented or not.

I personally have never used a security question to recover any of the
accounts of which I forgot passwords. Its always a recovery through email
or mobile. Therefore I don't see this as a valuable feature.

> *2)  Is it necessary to include security questions in user self sign-up
> page? If needed, following way is appropriate?*
> As we have planned, in C5, admin can create several security question sets
> and can configure the minimum number of questions that need to be answered
> by a user. So that in self sign up UI when populating security questions to
> a user,
>
>    - security questions need to be categorized according to the security
>    question sets
>    - all the sets need to be populated for the user
>    - user can select any number of security questions from different sets
>    not from a same set
>    - need to validate whether the user has answered for the minimum
>    number of questions
>
> When an answer to a question is personal, the question itself is probably
personal too. Therefore I don't think an admin can decide on what questions
to be asked from you. Its unlikely you'll remember an answer to a question
which is not very relevant to you. If we're doing this (I'm negative on
implementing the feature itself too :)), I think we should let the user
decide his own questions and answers.

> Appreciate your ideas on this.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> --