How about defining a default favicon in the layout?

We have a feature called 'default value for a placeholer', basically when
defining a placeholder (using the {{placeholder}} helper) you can set a
default value for that placeholder. So if no other value set to that
placeholder, the default value will be used.

e.g. Instead of defining the 'title' placeholder like this <title>
{{placeholder "title"}}</title>, you can set a default value like this <
title>{{#placeholder "title"}}Default Title{{/placeholder}}</title>

This can be done to the 'favicon' placeholder as well. We have done this in
the 'main' layout of the sample foundation component. [1]

[1]
https://github.com/this/carbon-uuf/blob/master/samples/components/org.wso2.carbon.uuf.sample.foundation.ui/src/main/layouts/main.hbs#L7-L9

Thanks.

--