Hi Thivya,

Normally, API refers to REST APIs, while a proxy service can be used with
any type of backend services like HTTP, WSDL, [1]. Since you have a WSDL
service as the backend, better to use WSDL Based Proxy, otherwise you have
to convert REST to SOAP before sending to the backend.

Also, for REST API, we can use OAuth header which is handled through auth
handler, and for proxies based on WSDL, it's better to WS-Security. But,
you can use auth handler too.

[1]: https://docs.wso2.com/display/ESB500/WSO2+ESB+Endpoints

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Thivya Mahenthirarasa <thi...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am working on the scenario which is having CRUD operations where I have
> to create a service in ESB 5.0.0 using a WSDL of a SOAP backend service.
>
> I have tried this scenario with both Proxy and API in ESB. Also, I need to
> secure the ESB service too.
>
> I have configured the WS-Security policy[1] to secure the Proxy service
> and but API I couldn't able to secure API with WS-Security policy so I have
> used custom Auth Handler[2] to secure API.
>
> 1. What you think whether to use a Proxy or API, for me to be the best
> practice to access a SOAP backend WSDL service?
> 2. Using custom auth handler or WS-Security policy is the best way for the
> security.
>

> Could you please advice on this. Your ideas are much appreciated.
>

> [1] https://docs.wso2.com/display/ESB500/Securing+APIs#SecuringAPIs-
> BasicAuthUsingaBasicAuthhandler
> [2] https://docs.wso2.com/display/ESB500/Applying+Security+to+a+
> Proxy+Servicev
>

> --
>
> *Thivya Mahenthirarasa*
>
> *Software Engineer -Support Team | WSO2*
>

> *Email: thi...@wso2.com <thi...@wso2.com>*
>
> *Mobile: +94766461966 <+94%2076%20646%201966> <http://wso2.com/signature>*
> *Web: http://wso2.com <http://wso2.com>*

Thanks
Abimaran Kugathasan
Senior Software Engineer - API Technologies

Email : abima...@wso2.com
Mobile : +94 773922820

<http://stackoverflow.com/users/515034>
<http://lk.linkedin.com/in/abimaran>  <http://www.lkabimaran.blogspot.com/>