Hi Devs,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 7:06 PM, Irindu Nugawela <iri...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I am implementing a feature for Widget Configuration Panel of Carbon
> Dashboard's designer view,
> to allow users(dashboard designers)  to configure the properties of the
> widgets such as the widget background color, widget title etc.
>
> The Current situation is that he user(dashboard designer) can only add or
> drop one of the sample widgets or create a new widget of his/her own. but
> has no control over the widget there after except for the complete removal
> of it from the dashboard.
>
> The new feature will allow modification of certain properties of the
> widget so that the user(dashboard designer) won't have to create a
> completely new widget in order to make the changes in a existing widget.
>
> Every widget has a JSON file named widgetConf.json containing it's
> configurations,
> for example: widgetConf.json of widget Overall Revenue Info
>
> {
>     "name": "Overall Revenue Info",
>     "id": "OverallRevenueInfo",
>     "thumbnailURL": "",
>     "configs": {
>         "pubsub": {
>             "types": [
>                 "subscriber"
>             ]
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> To implement the above feature the widgetConf.json needs to be changed as
> follows
>
> {
>
>  "name": "Widget Name",
>
>  "id": "WidgetID",
>
>  "thumbnailURL": "",
>
>  "configs": {
>
>     "pubsub": {
>
>      "types": [
>
>        "subscriber"
>
>      ]
>
>     },
>
>     "options" : [
>
>        {
>
>          "id": "sampleId1",
>
>          "title": "sampleTitle1",
>
>          "type" : "text",
>
>          "defaultData" : "SamapleData"
>
>        },
>
>        {
>
>          "id": "sampleId2",
>
>          "title": "sampleTitle2",
>
>          "type" : "boolean",
>
>          "defaultData" : "true"
>
>        },
>
>        {
>
>          "id": "sampleId3",
>
>          "title": "sampleTitle3",
>
>          "type" : "enum",
>
>          "possibleValues" : ["SamapleEnumeratedData1","
> SamapleEnumeratedData2","SamapleEnumeratedData3"],
>
>          "defaultData" : "SamapleEnumeratedData1"
>
>        },
>
>        {
>
>          "id": "sampleId4",
>
>          "title": "sampleTitle4",
>
>          "type" : "text",
>
>          "defaultData" : "SamapleData"
>
>        }
>
>      ]

IMO, option list should be something like following:

{
 id: "someId"
 title: "Some Title"
 type:
    {
     name: "text"
     defaultValue: "some-default-value"
    }
},
{
 id: "someId"
 title: "Some Title"
 type:
    {
     name: "boolean"
     defaultValue: true
    }
},
{
 id: "someId"
 title: "Some Title"
 type:
    {
     name: "enum"
     defaultValue: "foo"
     values: ["foo", "bar"]
    }
}

Why?

- Proposed structure mixes properties of an option object with the
properties of a type object.

- Proposing structure gives a consistent object structure for an option
object.

 id: "someId"
 title: "Some Title"
 type: {}

 - Therefore, we can easily  introduce a new type without disrupting (much)
to option list processing logic.
- "defaultData" feels awkward to me, correct term is "defaultValue"

Thanks.

--
Sajith Janaprasad Ariyarathna
Senior Software Engineer; WSO2, Inc.;  http://wso2.com/