Dear Roman,

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you wanted a followup from myself for this mail.

For point (1) I would be interested in the C++ version. The other points are related to Java only, and so I can't really address these; while I'm also familiar with using Xalan-J, I'll likely not have much time to work on it.

However, regarding point (4), for C++ there is also Qt XmlPatterns, which is an XSLT2 processor. I've been doing some testing over the last month or so, and while it's not a direct drop-in replacement for Xalan (some of the Xalan XSLT1 quirks are not implemented, primarily related to namespace URI/prefix transformation), it's clearly much more up to date, albeit with a dependency upon the Qt core libraries. Probably not too much work to convert existing transforms to work with it.

A few months back, I left the job which had a codebase heavily reliant upon Xerces-C++ and Xalan-C++, and for which I was working on and providing patches for both as part of that role. While I'm still doing some contract work relating to these codebases, my current clients do not want the Xerces or Xalan dependencies, and so I'm allowing QtXml and QtXmlPatterns to be used as alternatives as a compile-time option. My time for working on Xerces and Xalan from now on will be further restricted as I start a new job working on something entirely different.

To be completely clear about the level of commitment I can provide, I'm willing to apply the existing patchset, plus the cmake build work, and to make a new release containing these changes, and any other outstanding bugfixes anyone else has which need testing and reviewing. However, for actual ongoing development, I'm afraid that my commitments here can't be more than minimal. Xalan needs a lot of work to bring it up to modern C++ standards, and that could be a full-time job for someone.

If you're happy with that, I'll be able to do the above. If, however, this commitment isn't sufficient, then it might be for the best to consider shuttering the project entirely in the absence of any other volunteers.

Kind regards,
Roger