No, you need the checked in binary (external/lib/oldxbeans.jar). If you run
'ant bootstrap' twice, first time you'll probably get a warning that there are
differences, but second time the binary should be the same, i.e. based only on
the sources available.

XMLBeans needs itself because in order to understand schema files we need to
compile the schema for schemas into xsd xbeans, these s4s xbeans are used to
verify, load xsd files in memory and create the schema type system.

Cezar