Github user jongyoul commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/932

    In general, including Zeppelin, most of reviewers feel uncomfortable to
upgrade some libraries even it's too old because no one guarantee all existing
functions work perfectly - eg. Kafka had used Zookeeper 3.3.4 recently. Then,
almost projects only upgrade their libraries when they found some big bugs or
necessary features. In this case, when you introduce this upgrade feature, we
don't need to upgrade its library because it worked well. But after upgrading
jetty from 8 to 9, we found bugs and need to upgrade or fix some related
versions. AFAIK, it needs later servlet version and it causes to upgrade jersey
version. Still, I don't know why we keep cxf and jersey at the same time for a
long time, but if your PR passes CI and works proper when reviewers test it, we
can consider removing cxf and change jersey2 fully. Anyway, thanks for the
contribution and I appreciate and encourage your contribution.

---
with INFRA.
---