The option is legacy and being used in few unit tests as far as i remember.

I think we can either try completely remove this code (to keep code base
simple) or we can try re-introduce this feature (to optimize resource
usage, less restriction on data sharing between interpreters).

I think interpreters like markdown, jdbc will have no big problem with
remote=false while Spark interpreter require separate JVM and remote=true
is required.

remote=false will provide some chances to save some system resource because
it does not run separate JVM process for interpreter.

Also communication between interpreter (through ResourcePool) can be much
faster and have less restricted on object serialization.

So remote=false option definitely provides some advantages.
However, keeping code base for remote=false and remote=true introduces more
work.

What do you think?

Thanks,
moon