Github user zjffdu commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/zeppelin/pull/2974

    It looks like there's many misunderstandings between people about what the
status icon really means.  Personally I would suggest to abandon this PR for
now, as I think end users would also has the confusion about what that icon
really means. status icon is nice to have but not must to have, so before we
nail down what that status icon represent, we should not deliver such kind of
feature.
    What user really care about is that when the interpreter fails to start,
zeppelin frontend should tell the end user what's wrong and what should be done
to fix that.

---