On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Flavio Junqueira <f...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Most discussions apart from issues like new committers are open, and anyone
> in the community has the right to express an opinion, and I believe we in
> general do take opinions and suggestions into account. Consequently, I don't
> see much benefit in having a PMC member that does not have a set of
> responsabilities that is a superset of the of the ones of a committer.

Community members come and go, a sign of a healthy Apache project is adding
new committers and pmc members to ensure that the project continues to be
viable as this ebb/flow happens.

> At the same time, I don't see a reason for constraining PMC to be
> committers in the bylaws. I would much rather discuss each case
> individually, and evaluate the merit of the candidate accordingly.

We have clearly stated in the bylaws how one becomes a PMC member voting),
so I agree with you we don't need to update the bylaws. But it is a good
idea to outline how one becomes a PMC member and the criteria we (zk) use to
judge. Even if this is just a pointer to the links I sent earlier. (similar
to what we have for committers
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/CommitterCriteria I
think this is what Mahadev was shooting for, get everyone on the same page;
current PMC members, new members as they are elected, and the community at
large)

Patrick