>> That said, both etcd and consul are more k/v stores than they are
distributed coordinators.

Not sure about consul, but for etcd v3, it seems has evolved towards a
direction where more and more features that's critical for a coordinator is
being added, instead of just a generic key value store. Some changes in v3
such as introduction of the concept of lease (ZK session) and the
multiplexed gRPC streams allows more efficient implementation of watcher as
well as features such as ephemeral nodes which is very useful for
coordination use cases. Previously the v2 etcd seems stateless and it would
be hard to implement session and ephemeral effectively on top of stateless
server and API semantics. So it looks to me that etcd folks are
very consciously improving it for coordination use cases, which made zetcd
easier to implement as well.

--
Cheers
Michael.