+1 for setting the Java8 requirement on server side.

*Client side.*
I'd like the idea of the setting the requirement on client side too without
introducing anything Java8 specific. I'm not planning to use Java8 features
right on, just thinking of opening the gates would be useful in the long
run.

Additionally, I don't see heavy development on the client side. Users who
are tightly coupled to Java7 are still able to use existing clients as long
as we introduce something breaking which they're forced to upgrade to for
whatever reason. I'm not sure what are the odds of that to happen.

Andor