That is a completely valid point. I started to investigate flakies for exactly
the same reason, if you remember the thread that I started a while ago. It was
later abandoned unfortunately, because I’ve run into a few issues:

- We nailed down that in order to release 3.5 stable, we have to make sure it’s
not worse than 3.4 by comparing the builds: but these builds are not
comparable, because 3.4 tests running single threaded while 3.5 multithreaded
showing problems which might also exist on 3.4,

- Neither of them running C++ tests for some reason, but that’s not really an
issue here,

- Looks like tests on 3.5 is just as solid as on 3.4, because running them on a
dedicated, single threaded environment show almost all tests succeeding,

- I think the root cause of failing unit tests could be one (or more) of the
following:
        a) Environmental: Jenkins slave gets overloaded with other builds and
multithreaded test running makes things even worse: starving JDK threads and ZK
instances (both clients and servers) are unable to operate
        b) Conceptional: ZK unit tests were not designed to run on multiple
threads: I investigated the unique port assignment feature which is looking
good, but there could be other possible gaps which makes them unreliable when
running simultaneously.
        c) Bad testing: testing ZK in the wrong way, making bad assumption
(e.g. not syncing clients), etc.
        d) Bug in the server.

I feel that finding case d) with these tests is super hard, because a test
report doesn’t give any information on what could go wrong with ZooKeeper. More
or less guessing is your only option.

Finding c) is a little bit easier, I’m trying to submit patches on them and
hopefully making some progress.

The huge pain in the arse though are a) and b): people desperately keep
commenting “please retest this” on github to get a green build while testing is
going in a direction to hide real problems: I mean people started not to care
about a failing build, because “it must be some flaky unrelated to my patch”.
Which is bad, but the shame is it’s true 90% percent of cases.

I’m just trying to find some ways - besides fixing c) and d) flakies - to get
more reliable and more informative Jenkins builds. Don’t want to make a huge
turnaround, but I think if we can get a significantly more reliable build for
the price of slightly longer build time running on 4 threads instead of 8, I
say let’s do it.

As always, any help from the community is more than welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Andor