https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ibus-anthy_for_default_Japanese_IME

== Summary ==
The current default Japanese IME(input method engine) is ibus-kkc and
the default is going to change to ibus-anthy to develop Japanese IME
more effectively.

== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:Fujiwara|Takao Fujiwara]]
* Email: fujiwara [at] redhat [dot] com

== Detailed Description ==
Currently some development plans have been pending because of the
delay of [https://github.com/ueno/ibus-kkc ibus-kkc] [1] which is the
default IME for Japanese and I make the default IME to bring back to
[https://github.com/ibus/ibus-anthy ibus-anthy] now. Originally the
default was changed from ibus-anthy to ibus-kkc because the
[https://osdn.net/projects/anthy/ upstream anthy] is no longer
updated. Recently I got the agreement with the original developer of
anthy and forked it to [https://github.com/fujiwarat/ibus-anthy
anthy-unicode] and start to change the default IME again.

I also considered about [https://github.com/google/mozc ibus-mozc] for
the default but the configuration GUI is based on Qt which has the
different theme from GNOME desktop in Fedora.

[1] https://github.com/ibus/ibus/wiki/GSettingsMigration

== Benefit to Fedora ==
Make the effective developments in the Japanese IME and apply the
latest updates in ibus to each IME more effectively because I'm the
maintainer of both ibus and ibus-anthy.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
* Other developers: gnome-desktop3 for default ja_JP

* Release engineering: (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
* Policies and guidelines: N/A
* Trademark approval: N/A
* Alignment with Objectives:

== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
The default installed package will be changed from ibus-kkc to ibus-anthy.

== How To Test ==
Install Fedora with Japanese and the default IME is ibus-anthy.

== User Experience ==
# The Japanese detabase and some keybindings will be changed
# The setting UI is a little different
# The package size and depended packages are different
# The memory usage is a little different

== Dependencies ==
anthy-unicode and kasumi
# comps has to be updated
# gnome-desktop3 has to be updated

== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: Revert comps and gnome-desktop3
* Contingency deadline: Beta release
* Blocks release? No

== Documentation ==
TBD