https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/sericea-xorgless

This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.

== Summary ==
At the moment Sericea and Sway Spin ship with xorg-x11 packages.
This proposal aims to remove xorg-x11 packages from such artifacts.

== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:alebastr| Aleksei Bavshin]], [[User:Fale|Fabio
Alessandro Locati]], Sway SIG
** Primary contact person: Fabio Alessandro Locati
* Email: f...@fedoraproject.org

== Detailed Description ==
At the moment Sericea and Sway Spin require the installation of
xorg-x11 due to the use of `sddm-x11`.
When we started working on F38 we were not fully convinced on the
stability of SDDM-Wayland, so we opted for the safer bet: SDDM-X11.
Though, since Sway is Wayland-only, it would make sense for Sericea
and Sway Spin to prefer the use of `sddm-wayland-sway`.

== Feedback ==

So far only positive feedback have been provided on this idea.

== Benefit to Fedora ==
This change will allow Sericea and Sway Spin artifacts to ship without xorg-x11.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners: change the default in comps

* Other developers: N/A

* Release engineering: N/A

* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)

* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)

* Alignment with Community Initiatives: N/A

== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
When the users will update their Fedora installation, the change will
occur in their boxes automatically. No direct impact nor configuration
change is required.

== How To Test ==
# Install `sddm-wayland-sway`
# Reboot and test the login

== User Experience ==
`sddm-wayland-sway` should have a slightly positive experience for
users, with less bugs in some edge cases than `sddm-x11`. Majority of
users should not be able to notice the difference.

== Dependencies ==
N/A

== Contingency Plan ==
If unexpected issues will be created by this change, we can easily
rollback to `sddm-x11` by changing back the comps packages.

* Contingency mechanism: (What to do?  Who will do it?) N/A (not a
System Wide Change)
* Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No

== Documentation ==
N/A (not a System Wide Change)

== Release Notes ==

--