On Aug 29, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Felipe Contreras wrote:

>>> but now that you did, I feel compelled to reply the same way.

>>> Many projects start their release announcements by explaining what the
>>> project is. I'm simply doing the same.
>>
>> No you aren't. Those announcements do not get spammed to other mailing
>> lists, they usually just go to the relevant project's mailing list.

Ugh. Hit send too soon. Apologies for the double reply.

I felt that Felipe's introduction was succinct and free of the vitriolic
commentary characteristic of some previous communications.  It is true that
msn-pecan is a fork of the libpurple MSN plug-in, and it's also true that
Felipe made this fork because he couldn't contribute "as wanted".  This
one-liner is reasonably useful information to someone not familiar with the
projects - though I think more useful and even *less* emotional would be:

msn-pecan is a "fork" of libpurple's MSN plug-in by its original author which
exists to allow continued independent development that, for various reasons,
will not be directly reintegrated into libpurple.

Or something like that. I don't particularly care what the phrasing is as long
as it doesn't bash Adium or libpurple developers, which Felipe's did not.  I
don't object to occasional emails to the Adium list on the subject as long as
they don't devolve into another flame war -- which this wouldn't, left alone.

I don't follow the msn-pecan list nor will I. It is interesting to see
continued development there.  Perhaps someone who knew nothing about it would,
from such emails on our list, become interested in taking whatever improvements
may be found in msn-pecan and making the effort to integrate them into
libpurple's msn where many more people would benefit.  That would, I think, be
the best possible result, and on the off-chance that could happen I'm willing
to spend a second glancing at and deleting the occasional release note. Less
time than I spent typing this reply, certainly.

-Evan