On Oct 19, 2010, at 8:47 PM, Matthew wrote:

> With Evan's fix for the message style bundle path issue and the
> additional CFBundleIdentifier failovers I committed yesterday, things
> are greatly improved. However, there are still some lingering issues
> due to limitations in how the existing CFBundleIdentifier failover
> works.
>
> I basically just added more if-thens to the existing failover code.
> Now Adium will correctly select the appropriate message style based on
> the user's previous selection of any bundled message style.
> Unfortunately, the failover doesn't cover every place that
> CFBundleIdentifier is used, so some user preferences will be lost.
>
> Retained are the checkboxes for show user icons, show header, show
> received message fonts, and show received message colors. Lost are the
> variant, custom background, font face, and font size.
>
> There may be other things tied to CFBundleIdentifier, I only checked
> the prefs in the messages prefpane.

Only the PREF_GROUP_WEBKIT_REGULAR_MESSAGE_DISPLAY group is tied to the message
style identifiers.

I disliked us discarding users' preferences - you'd be amazed how upset some
people get when, for no reason they can discern, an update resets their
settings! I've watched my wife declare she'd never use an application again
because of it - so implemented a more thorough upgrade path in [0e061cd60338].
Thanks for pointing out that previous arguably-minor deficiency in the code
path.

Cheers,
Evan