You need to call those 2 init functions I mentioned, after libpurple is
initialized by your calls to init the core and other modules. That's why I
suggested searching for them; you'll want to work backwards from where they're
called in Adium's source to look at the overall initialization flow
encapsulated in that file.

Best,
Evan