On 08/22/19 22:44, Jordan Justen wrote:
> On 2019-08-22 06:46:07, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

>>> This was also raised as an issue by Peter for the ACRN hypervisor and
>>> Scott for the bhyve hypervisor.
>>>
>>> I think it is rare for a platform to enable cache at this early of a
>>> stage, but it is also rare to decompress a firmware volume at this
>>> point.
>>>
>>> It appears that it could be helpful to figure out how to safely enable
>>> cache by default here, since it does seem to be impacting several
>>> hypervisors.
>>
>> I can't think of anything better than "trial and error".
>
> Maybe we could try to detect kvm, and enable caching if !kvm.
>
> Maybe we could enable it during the decompress of the PEI FV and
> disable it afterward?
>
>> The issues that
>> used to pop up in the past, due to host kernel (KVM) changes,
>> particularly in connection with VFIO device assignment, have been
>> completely obscure and unpenetrable to me.
>
> Don't we eventually enable caching during the boot, so how is VFIO not
> affected by that?
>
>> Even though I've contributed
>> at least one KVM patch to mitigate those problems, they remain a mistery
>> to me, and I remain unable to *reason* about the problems or the fixes.
>
> If VFIO requires uncached access, then what mechanisms does kvm
> support for accessing memory ranges uncached? I thought kvm simply
> ignored the cache setting and always enabled caching, because this
> section of boot is not particularly slow with kvm. But, if enabling
> caching causes issues, then I guess it does something.
>
> Does kvm support mtrr to uncache i/o ranges? I didn't think kvm
> supported mtrrs in the past.
>
> I hope we wouldn't have to use paging to disable caching for the
> affected regions.

All good questions, and I'm not equipped to answer them, unfortunately.
I'm happy to review and regression-test -- including GPU assignment, on
my workstation that's dedicated to that use case -- OvmfPkg patches, if
someone posts them.

This stuff is in constant flux in KVM. Recent example:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/2019-August/msg00016.html

Thanks
Laszlo