(+Jordan and Gary)

On 08/27/19 00:29, Andrew Fish via Groups.Io wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I hit it when I was testing an OVMF build. It looks like the OVMF
> instructions reference the generic getting started guide that omits the
> submodule update command.

I agree that the "BUILDING OVMF" section in "OvmfPkg/README" is out of
date. I think a bugzilla ticket would be justified.

Personally, I wouldn't like to propose actual patches, for improving
this part of "OvmfPkg/README". For me, the best way for building OVMF
has always been to write my own build scripts. In our downstream edk2
repositories at Red Hat, I provide a text file with detailed commands
that basically amount to the same.

I think that, technically speaking, the same could work for the
"OvmfPkg/README" file too. But my understanding is that many in the
upstream community dislike this approach -- many people prefer
"OvmfPkg/build.sh" instead (which I never use -- it *is* a build script
alright, but it's quite different from what I use).

"OvmfPkg/README" does mention "OvmfPkg/build.sh" in the "Build Scripts"
section. So maybe "OvmfPkg/build.sh" should be patched, to verify that
the OpenSSL submodule has been initialized. That could be another BZ (or
another patch in the series for the same BZ).

Thanks
Laszlo