From: devel@edk2.groups.io <devel@edk2.groups.io> On Behalf Of Laszlo Ersek
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2019 2:11 AM
To: Gao, Junhao <junhao....@intel.com>
Cc: devel@edk2.groups.io; David Woodhouse <dw...@infradead.org>
Subject: Re: [edk2-devel] question about qemu+kvm+ovmf+winxp

On 10/10/19 16:37, Junhao Gao wrote:
> Hi edk2 members
>
>                I have a question for your help.
>                I want to enable qemu+kvm+ovmf to boot up windows xp,
>                then ovmf support winxp starting-up?

To my understanding, the first Windows "family" with any kind of UEFI support
is Windows 7.

OvmfPkg/README has some comments on Windows support:

> * UEFI Windows 8 boots
> * UEFI Windows 7 & Windows 2008 Server boot (see important notes
> below!)

and

> === UEFI Windows 7 & Windows 2008 Server ===
>
> * One of the '-vga std' and '-vga qxl' QEMU options should be used.
> * Only one video mode, 1024x768x32, is supported at OS runtime.
> * The '-vga qxl' QEMU option is recommended. After booting the installed
>   guest OS, select the video card in Device Manager, and upgrade its driver
>   to the QXL XDDM one. Download location:
>   <http://www.spice-space.org/download.html>, Guest | Windows binaries.
>   This enables further resolutions at OS runtime, and provides S3
>   (suspend/resume) capability.

If you'd like to virtualize Windows XP on QEMU/KVM, please use SeaBIOS for
guest firmware.

You can also try to build OVMF with -D CSM_ENABLE, but for that, you'll have to
build SeaBIOS in CSM mode first, and embed that binary into OVMF at build time.
Please ask David for details (CC'd).

Thanks
Laszlo