(Ancient thread, responding due to finding this when looking at recent
BZ activity.)

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 05:31:36PM +0000, Michael D Kinney wrote:
> I see no issues with using 'static' on more symbols.
>
> I am not sure how to enforce it, so it would be a good
> recommendation for code style and a good recommendation
> for a code reviews.

For GCC family, -Wmissing-prototypes is a pretty good way of catching
at least functions that should be static. Adding that to default build
flags would be a way of preventing new such code being added ... after
we had gone through and made sure all current code built with it...

Regards,

Leif