> On Apr 14, 2022, at 6:06 PM, Nate DeSimone <nathaniel.l.desim...@intel.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Marvin,

I’d also point out that x86 VMs use X64 (x86-64) PEI today and it works so the
32-bit/64-bit mix has nothing to do with UEFI/PI/edk2.

In the PC ecosystem a single chipset family can power thousands of unique
designs. So the  DRAM memory needs to be external, support lots of different
chipset packages(signal integrity...), support the lowest cost through the
highest cost DRAM and thousands of different board layouts. So programing DRAM
takes a masters degree in antenna design. I’ve seen MRC (Memory Reference Code)
with over a MiB of DEBUG prints in it, and it literally is printing histograms
of what it is tuning. So all this code has to run before the system has any
DRAM, thus it is running using the cache as RAM. I’ve not looked at the x86
architecture specs form the vendors in a while, but back in the day they did
not support page tables in ROM or pinned cached. Now it might work, but if it
breaks your CPU vendor blames you so you don’t code PEI in X64….

We contributed the 1st edk2 ARM platform, Beagle Board, and It was a long time
ago but I seem to remember the mask ROM used a table in NOR FLASH to init
memory and then copied an image from NOR FLASH into DRAM and jumped to it. So
PEI is kind of not really needed and we implemented a PrePEI and jumped
directly to DXE.

Given I was around back in the day when all this stuff was designed I can say
SEC was always a place holder for security code, as security code always has to
run 1st. PEI (Pre EFI) was designed to get DRAM programmed and then jump to
DXE. It kind of also fell in naturally to ACPI S3 flow since that was turning
memory back on. When we designed PEI we kind of though of it more like a boot
loader stage for the firmware that turned on memory and all the work would
happen in DXE. Then reality strikes and the existing BIOS assembly programmers
start learning C (lots of  cranky people) and they start having to learn all
about PEI to turn on memory. They had to write a big chunk of code for the
memory init in PEI. These folks had never written any EFI code, so to them it
was easier to move a lot of the chipset init code into PEI as that is the world
they had to figure out to get memory turned on. I mean why learn EFI if you
don’t have to? So that is how we get so much code in IA32 (i386) on some
platforms. This start kind of biased future choices and how to enable non edk2
code bases….

Thanks,

Andrew Fish